December Android Update?

John McGaw

Dec 10, 2021, 11:18:01 AM12/10/21
Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can
download mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be
permanently(?) missing in action.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.

Anssi Saari

Dec 10, 2021, 12:29:35 PM12/10/21
John McGaw <Nob...@Nowh.ere> writes:

> Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can
> download mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be
> permanently(?) missing in action.

My Samsung phone just updated to it today.

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 10, 2021, 12:36:28 PM12/10/21
Am 10.12.21 um 17:17 schrieb John McGaw:
> Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can
> download mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be
> permanently(?) missing in action.

Pixel 3 days ago.
Is your phone still supported? You gave absolutely no information.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Andy Burns

Dec 10, 2021, 3:19:11 PM12/10/21
John McGaw wrote:

> Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can download
> mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be permanently(?)
> missing in action.

Pix6 were reported to be late, Pix3a to Pix5a were ready

John McGaw

Dec 10, 2021, 7:28:54 PM12/10/21
On 12/10/2021 12:36 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 10.12.21 um 17:17 schrieb John McGaw:
>> Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can
>> download mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be
>> permanently(?) missing in action.
>>
> Pixel 3 days ago.
> Is your phone still supported? You gave absolutely no information.

I knew that my phone was supported but obviously you have no way to know
that. Sorry. I have a Pixel 6 Pro.

John McGaw

Dec 10, 2021, 7:29:56 PM12/10/21
I hadn't seen any reports to that effect. Since I have a Pixel 6 Pro that
must be my problem. Oh well...

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 11, 2021, 2:15:48 AM12/11/21
Am 11.12.21 um 01:28 schrieb John McGaw:
> On 12/10/2021 12:36 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 10.12.21 um 17:17 schrieb John McGaw:
>>> Is anybody seeing the subject security update/upgrade? I normally can
>>> download mine on the 5th or 6th of the month but now it seems to be
>>> permanently(?) missing in action.
>>>
>> Pixel 3 days ago.
>> Is your phone still supported? You gave absolutely no information.
>>
> I knew that my phone was supported but obviously you have no way to know
> that. Sorry. I have a Pixel 6 Pro.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mine is a Pixel 4 with a German GUI, Android 12.

s|b

Dec 11, 2021, 5:49:04 AM12/11/21
On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:36:27 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> Pixel 3 days ago.
> Is your phone still supported? You gave absolutely no information.

3a, but not 3.

<https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-earlier>

--
s|b

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 11, 2021, 5:52:45 AM12/11/21
Am 11.12.21 um 11:49 schrieb s|b:
I did not talk about Pixel3. I said I got the update three days ago.

Andy Burns

Dec 11, 2021, 6:41:33 AM12/11/21
John McGaw wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Pix6 were reported to be late, Pix3a to Pix5a were ready
>
> I hadn't seen any reports to that effect. Since I have a Pixel 6 Pro that must
> be my problem. Oh well...

<https://9to5google.com/2021/12/06/pixel-december-21-security-patch>

Android Police are now saying 13th for Pix6

The good news is that us Pix3 users will get an unexpected "bonus" update next
year, it does seem odd the way support ends for each pixel generation is that
they release a major update, then slam the door on the expected rush of fixes
for the new version.

<https://9to5google.com/2021/11/02/last-google-pixel-3-xl-update>

John McGaw

Dec 11, 2021, 7:34:09 PM12/11/21
Well, I always keep my last generation phone as a backup and always carry
it sans-sim on trips (well, actually, I have all(?) of my old phones going
back to the flip and candy bar generations) and it would be good to get one
'last' patch for it just in case I might need it.

Andy Burnelli

Dec 12, 2021, 12:55:24 AM12/12/21
On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:41:30 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Android Police are now saying 13th for Pix6

Tapping the shortcut to this Google Activity just now
com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity
on my T-mobile USA Galaxy A32 5G pops up the Activity saying
Your system is up to date
Android version 11
Android security update November 1 2021

See also:
com.android.settings.Settings$SoftwareUpdateSettingActivity
com.samsung.settings.SOFTWARE_UPDATE_SETTINGS
com.wssyncmidm/com.idm.fotaagent.enabler.uilastupdate.LastUpdateActivity

Andy Burns

Dec 12, 2021, 5:41:17 AM12/12/21
Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Tapping the shortcut to this Google Activity just now
> com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity
> on my T-mobile USA Galaxy A32 5G pops up the Activity saying
> Your system is up to date
> Android version 11
> Android security update November 1 2021

How closely do Samsung follow the AOSP updates?

Your system is up to date
Android version: 12
Android security update: 5 October 2021

if in e.g march, it receives a roll-up of bugfixes between november and
february, that'll be welcome, not that I've noticed problems with android 12.

s|b

Dec 12, 2021, 11:25:29 AM12/12/21
On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:52:44 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> I did not talk about Pixel3. I said I got the update three days ago.

Aha! I read:

Pixel 3
days ago

--
s|b

Andy Burnelli

Dec 12, 2021, 2:11:17 PM12/12/21
On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:29:34 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

> My Samsung phone just updated to it today.

My Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (T-Mobile, USA) still has only the November patch.
<https://docs.samsungmobile.com/SM-A326U/TMB/doc.html>

Android11:Settings > Software update > Download & install
"Your software is up to date"
"Software update information:"
"Security patch level: November 1, 2021"

The security updates patches from Samsung that were listed are:
2021-03-01
2021-05-01
2021-07-01
2021-08-01
2021-11-01
But nothing for December 2021 for my free model SM-A326U phone.

Which Galaxy do you have?

Andy Burnelli

Dec 12, 2021, 2:22:18 PM12/12/21
On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:41:14 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> How closely do Samsung follow the AOSP updates?

Hi Andy,
I'm never afraid to admit when I don't know something, and, in fact, since
you know far more than I do about this, I don't even _understand_ your
question, so I can only reply that I googled for an answer for you but
that's about all I can do since I'm not all that familiar with AOSP.

Here's one potentially relevant hit on how Samsung is keeping up with AOSP
*Samsung's latest One UI 4 beta brings Android 12's stable AOSP code*
<https://9to5google.com/2021/10/25/samsung-android-12-weather-app-beta-4/>

That doesn't say much related to the OP's original question though, where
this seems to list the latest updates to all the Samsung phones of 2021.

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/12/11/samsung-one-ui-4-0-android-12-update/
"here's a list of eligible devices from Samsung that we believe will
get the update to Android 12 with the company's One UI 4.0 skin on top."
¡V Samsung Galaxy S21
¡V Samsung Galaxy S21+
¡V Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
¡V Samsung Galaxy S20
¡V Samsung Galaxy S20+

¡V Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
¡V Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
¡V Samsung Galaxy S10
¡V Samsung Galaxy S10+
¡V Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite

¡V Samsung Galaxy S10e
¡V Samsung Galaxy Note 20
¡V Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
¡V Samsung Galaxy Note 10
¡V Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Lite

¡V Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
¡V Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
¡V Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
¡V Samsung Galaxy Fold
¡V Samsung Galaxy A71

¡V Samsung Galaxy A51
¡V Samsung Galaxy A90 5G
¡V Samsung Galaxy A11
¡V Samsung Galaxy A21
¡V Samsung Galaxy A21s

¡V Samsung Galaxy A31
¡V *Samsung Galaxy A32 5G* <=== this is the model that I have
¡V Samsung Galaxy A02s
¡V Samsung Galaxy A02
¡V Samsung Galaxy A01

¡V Samsung Galaxy A12
¡V Samsung Galaxy M01
¡V Samsung Galaxy M21
¡V Samsung Galaxy M21s
¡V Samsung Galaxy M31

¡V Samsung Galaxy M02s
¡V Samsung Galaxy M02
¡V Samsung Galaxy M12
¡V Samsung Galaxy M31s
¡V Samsung Galaxy M51

¡V Samsung Galaxy F41
¡V Samsung Galaxy F62
¡V Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
¡V Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+
¡V Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
¡V Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite

Samsung Galaxy A Quantum ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Quantum 2 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A42 5G ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A41 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A72 ¡V NEW

Samsung Galaxy A52 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A51 5G ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy A71 5G ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy M42 5G ¡V NEW

Samsung Galaxy M62 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy M31 Prime Edition ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy F02s ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy F12 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro ¡V NEW

Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 5G ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 ¡V NEW
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 ¡V NEW

At the bottom of that list are all the known Samsung updates, the latest
being labeled "Update 87 (December 11)."

Here's an article dated Dec. 7th that my search found to help answer you.
*Samsung November 2021 security update is rolling out now to these Galaxy devices*
<https://9to5google.com/2021/12/07/samsung-november-2021-security-update-is-rolling-out-now-to-these-galaxy-devices/>
--
What matters isn't the wrapping paper but the worth of the gift inside.
Those with a good heart are the ones who continually add value to Usenet.

Andy Burns

Dec 12, 2021, 2:37:58 PM12/12/21
Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> How closely do Samsung follow the AOSP updates?
>
> I'm never afraid to admit when I don't know something, and, in fact, since
> you know far more than I do about this, I don't even _understand_ your
> question

I just meant that google produce security fixes monthly for supported phones,
how often do samsung do the same?

Given the limitations that Huawei now have imposed on them, my EMUI 9.1 tablet
hasn't had any update since june 2021

Andy Burnelli

Dec 12, 2021, 3:26:28 PM12/12/21
On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 19:37:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> I just meant that google produce security fixes monthly for supported phones,
> how often do samsung do the same?

Oh, that's easier to determine than how closely Samsung phones can be
flashed with the AOSP Android 12 Custom ROM (which I haven't yet done).
<https://theupgradeguide.com/install-android-12-on-galaxy-a21s-aosp-rom-how-to-guide/>

Sorry. I had _thought_ your question was about flashing a custom ROM on
Samsungs, which I haven't done for quite a long time (years, actually).

I'm one of those who doesn't care all that much about the security updates
(I always find it funny the Apple users are scared witless without them) so
I don't keep up with it except I allow the updates when they come to me.

Looking up how frequent Samsung updates, I'm sure the info is in here.
https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityUpdate.smsb
which shows the December update exists for Samsung phones that get it.

I'm not sure _which_ Android phones get what frequency of updates, although
I've seen that information in the past (and reported on it), but again, I
don't care all that much about security updates (my iPads are still on the
iOS they were born with, for example) so I don't really know much about it.

Clearly _some_ Samsung phones have gotten the December 2021 updates though.
*Samsung monthly updates: December 2021 security patch gets detailed*
<https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-december-2021-security-patch-detailed/>
"The company has revealed that its December 2021 security patch includes
34 fixes from Google and ten fixes from Samsung. Seven of those fixes were
for critical vulnerabilities, while 24 fixes were for high severity
vulnerabilities. Samsung's own fixes included in the new security patch
are related to Broadcom's Wi-Fi chipsets and Exynos processors running
Android 9, Android 10, and Android 11."

Ah, here is the list of phones which (so far) already have the Dec update.
"The December 2021 security update has been released to the Galaxy Z Flip,
Galaxy Z Flip 5G, Galaxy S10, Galaxy Note 10, and the Galaxy Note 10+ 5G.
The latest beta version of One UI 4.0 for the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and the
Galaxy Z Fold 3 also includes the December 2021 security patch."

What that means is my el cheapo (actually free) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy A32
5G is not in the top priority list for Samsung to be updating (which is ok).
--
Those with a good heart on Usenet try to provide helpful information.

Anssi Saari

Dec 13, 2021, 8:23:11 AM12/13/21
Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> writes:

> Which Galaxy do you have?